The municipality was established in the year 1916 after splitting the old municipalities named South Barrackpore Municipality comprising Barrackpore, Titagarh and Khardah areas.
The first meeting of the Barrackpore Municipality was held on Saturday, the 1st April, 1916 at S.D.O. Office, Barrackpore, attended by following eight Councilors:
- Rai-Sahib Bhagabati Charan Chatterjee
- Rai-Sahib Jogendra Nath Ray, BA.
- Maulavi Syed Muksud Ali Malik
- Maulavi Syed Ahmed
- Maulave Abdul Aziz BA
- Babu Ashutosh Chatterjee
- Babu Surendra Nath Pal
Babu Abinash Chandra Bhattacharya